Painshill was built by the Hon. Charles Hamilton between 1738 and 1773. Hamilton was an artist and creative who dedicated himself to landscaping the splendid garden. Over the years, Hamilton extended the grounds to over 250 acres and divided the gardens into two parts: the ornamental pleasure grounds with the central lake and the more natural style second half.
Hamilton sold the estate when he ran out of money in 1773. Painshill was then owned by a number of private owners until WWII when the estate was split up and the house and parkland separately sold.
Today, the C18th park has been restored by English Heritage and is owned by the Elmbridge Borough Council and managed by the Painshill Park Trust.
In 1998 it was awarded the Europa Nostra Medal for the “exemplary restoration…of a most important C18th landscape park and its extraordinary buildings”.