What could be more fun and frolicsome than a celebration in the great outdoors? Perhaps you've got a summer birthday party coming up or want to host an all-company family day in one of the capital's delightful outdoor venues. Whatever the occasion, Zipcube has a great selection of venues for you to browse and book.
You might be in the mood to arrange a Pimm's making competition, to try out the best possible combination of fruit, cucumber and mint. Or maybe you want to honour the summer solstice with a fresh air get-together beneath a bright blue sky. Whether you want to host a traditional Midsummer's Eve gathering or arrange a hip street food picnic, we've got a selection of the best outdoor venues London has to offer.
Outdoor Party Venues: Tips and Ideas
- What are you going to do if it rains on your big day? Check the weather forecast a few days in advance — if things look a bit overcast and humid, you could ask your guests to bring a brolly and turn it into an Umbrella Party.
- The venue might be able to provide their own arrangement for extra cover if rain is looking likely. Alternatively, you could also consider hiring a marquee.
- You might not have time for the Chelsea Flower Show, but you can invite your guests to show off their flower arranging skills and host your very own horticultural competition.
- Missed out on Centre Court tickets this year? If you want to enjoy the Wimbledon Men's or Women's finals in a stylish setting, you could book an outdoor venue with a screen or projector. They might even have catering on hand to provide the strawberries and cream.
- If you need a party venue which can accommodate both outdoor and indoor celebrations, try looking at our wider selection of cocktail party venues, evening party venues and private party venues.
What Do I Need to Know Before Booking an Outdoor Party Venue?
As beautiful as croquet lawns, lavender gardens and ivy walkways are: the elements can produce some extra hazards. Here are a few things to keep in mind whilst making arrangements for your party in the great outdoors:
- We all love the sunshine, but too much can be a bad thing. Make sure there are shaded areas for guests to keep out of the direct sunlight, and make sure there is plenty of water going around so that everyone stays hydrated.
- Insects can be a nuisance in the summer as well. Burning some citronella incense helps to keep them away, and other insect repellent sprays might come in handy too. You can always hang a mosquito net around your marquee if you're really desperate to keep the bugs out!
- If it rains, you'll need to have a few things in place to avoid disaster. Firstly, try to arrange for covered walkways so that your guests stay dry, and if you have an indoor tent or marquee set up, make sure it's large enough to fit all your guests in the event that everyone has to take shelter.
- A very windy day can be a bit annoying as well, even if there's not a cloud in the sky. Try to set up your food and drinks next to natural wind guards, such as the walls of buildings or near banks of trees.
How To Throw A Great Summer Party
When June, July and August are here – everyone wants to get outside, outdoors and into the baking hot sun. Or course, in the UK, sunny weather is far from guaranteed, but if you're planning a great Summer Party in London, we've still got a few tips for you to consider:
- Home-made ice lollies will always go down a treat in the higher celsius of summer. All you need is a mould and some wooden lolly sticks (as well as a freezer) then you can create some delicious juice combinations. A touch of alcohol in the mix, say vodka, is great for boozy celebrations.
- Have you thought about summery picnic food which is also extra refreshing? A watermelon salad, with some feta and olives is a great shout. So too is a nice bowl of cooling gazpacho.
- No summer party would be complete without some fun and games. How about a hula hoop competition or coconut shy? You'd be amazed how simple it is to set some of these things up with basic bits of equipment.
Still in need of a few great ideas for your party in the great outdoors? Check out this list of summer party ideas from Good Housekeeping – you're bound to pick up a few expert tips.